Most water leaks are relatively easy to spot. You see a drip from a pipe, fitting, or even a faucet. But what should have all homeowners concerned are the concealed or hidden leaks that could be lurking inside your home? But your first question is sure to be what might tip you off that there is a leak that you cannot see or hear? And the answer is very simple. If you or anyone in your home is suffering from unexplained health issues, your solution might well come from your plumber and not your doctor.

What Makes A Water Leak Dangerous?

In most cases, it is not the actual water that is becoming hazardous to your health. It might be causing some expensive water damage to your home, but the health concerns arise from the mildew and mold growing in these now moist spaces. Mold and mildew are both in the fungus family and require optimal temperature, a food supply, and moisture to thrive.

Most homes provide the food source and the correct temperature range. But until there is a water leak, your home does not have enough moisture to be a great location for these fungi to exist. So your water leak completed the perfect accommodations. And mildew and mold begin to take hold of your home, filling the air with spores that create multiple health problems for humans and even some domestic furry friends.

The Health Impact Of Mold And Mildew

Most of the mildew and mold-related problems center around the respiratory system. Some people will only experience mild irritation while others suffer from severe problems. The most common symptoms of a mold-related reaction include:

  • Irritation to the nose and throat
  • Itchy, red, swollen eyes
  • Frequent coughing and sneezing much like an allergic reaction
  • Sinus congestion, pressure, and pain
  • Upper and lower respiratory infection
  • Fatigue
  • Fever
  • Trouble breathing
  • Skin rash from direct contact with mold or mildew

How Mold Impacts Your Home

If you have a hidden water leak in your home or under the slab foundation, you might think that the mold will be contained and no create any issues. But in reality, the spores from both mold and mildew will quickly spread throughout the air in your home. And once the air is contaminated, anyone in the house could begin to appear to have an allergic reaction or a severe cold or other illness. In addition, exposure to mold and mildew spores can worsen the impact of pre-existing breathing issues such as allergies, asthma, or COPD. In the most severe cases, symptoms that were once easily managed could become life-threatening.

What To Do To Eliminate Mold Issues

If you have been suffering from an undetermined respiratory problem, and doctors are unsure of the cause, it is time to call your trusted plumber. A licensed plumber will inspect your home for hidden water leaks that could be promoting mold and mildew growth, the underlying cause of your illness. 

Our pros will provide you with a complete price quote to repair the leak in a cost-effective manner if any are located during the inspection. And we will let you know if our examination revealed the growth of any mold or mildew that could be causing your health issues. If there is a large amount of mold present or it is confirmed to be toxic black mold, it is recommended that you hire a professional mold abatement specialist to ensure the future safety of you and your loved ones from further contamination.

Leaky pipes and faucets are undoubtedly annoying. But homeowners need to be aware that hidden leaks are the ones that have the potential to create the most damage and disruption of your life. If you suspect that you have a water leak hidden inside your home’s walls, or under your slab foundation, never hesitate to call (512) 910-8123. The Parobek Plumbing & Air Conditioning team is here 24/7 to help.

Our leak detection specialists have decades of experience locating these obscure leaks quickly and with little or no destruction of your home. And once we have the leak repaired and pressure tested, we will restore your home to its original perfect condition.

Call Now ButtonCall (512) 910-8123